When you are depressed, it can feel like you’ll never get out from under a dark shadow. However, even the most severe depression is treatable.
Seven signs of depression so that you can maybe identify if this is something that you’re struggling with and seek help if you think that might be appropriate for you with many people who are struggling with depression and know that it can be a really really tough thing to be dealing with and so I really want to help you to recognize if this is something that might be too much for you to handle right now and something where it would be good for you to reach out and talk to an expert there are many many things that you can do if you’re depressed to feel a little bit better and I want to make sure you understand what those are but first I want to start by helping you understand what the typical signs and symptoms are.
Signs of Depression
- One of the most common signs of depression is a feeling of sadness or irritability that is really pervasive and doesn’t seem to go away no matter what you do if you’re with friends if you’re by yourself the sadness just sort of becomes your reality irritability can also be present and this is much more typical in teens that they will present with more irritability than sadness when they’re dealing with depression.
- Second sign of depression is feeling really hopeless and this can be hopeless about getting better it can be a sense of hopelessness about the future and the ability of sort of achieving your hopes and dreams and again it’s a very very tough symptom to deal with because other people can tell you you know you have so much to look forward to or this great thing is happening in your life but if you’re really struggling with depression that hopeless this just kind of takes over and keeps you stuck.
- The third sign of depression that you should be aware of is something called anhedonia which is really a fancy way of saying a loss of interest in things that you previously used to enjoy. For example, you might really be into gardening and all of the sudden you find that no matter how many times you garden or if you try to garden there’s just not the same joy that you’re getting out of it that you used to or maybe you used to really be really social and enjoy spending time with your friends and you find that you just can’t bring yourself to get out of the house and to go and interact with these friends and it’s really really difficult to deal with because it’s very hard to motivate yourself when the things that really used to be what got you out of bed and got you ready for the day no longer hold the same enjoyment and pleasure that they used to.
- The fourth sign of depression is either decreased concentration and/or indecision the difficulty with making decisions and this can be really difficult when you have to function either in the workplace or you have a lot of responsibilities at home because you’ll find that it’s harder to complete the tasks that you need to complete and if you do need to make decisions there’s almost like this decision paralysis where you find that you just can’t get yourself to the place of making choices that used to come really easily to you.
- The fifth sign of depression that you should be aware of our changes in sleep and this can be either that you find yourself sleeping a lot more than you used to and having like a really hard time getting out of bed maybe you’ve never been a Napper and all of the sudden you’re taking a nap every day on the other side of the spectrum many people who are struggling with depression find that they can’t sleep that they’re racked with insomnia for the first time in their life and they’re laying in bed and their thoughts just keep running around and they’re feeling sad and they’re feeling hopeless and so either too much or too little sleep is a really cardinal sign of depression that you should be aware of.
- The sixth sign of depression that you should be aware of our changes in appetite or weight and this can be either in the positive or the negative depression sometimes when people are depressed they find that they use food for comfort and end up eating a lot more than typical and gaining weight and sometimes when people are depressed they lose their appetite completely and don’t eat at all and find that they lose weight so if you’ve had any significant weight changes within the last couple months and you also have some of the other signs and symptoms we’re talking about it might be a good idea to consider that there’s some level of depression going on that you’re struggling with so another.
- The seventh sign of depression that we’re going to talk about is a sense of worthlessness so and really this is very very difficult for people to handle because it’s a sense that no matter what they do they’re not enough their life is not enough and it won’t ever be enough and this is such a difficult thing to be dealing with and so I think my overall message as you’re learning about these signs of depression.
The Different Types of Depression
Major Depressive Disorder
A major depressive disorder is made up of one or more major depressive episodes that severely impact life functioning. A major depressive episode is two weeks or more of exhibiting five of the following symptoms (at least one of which must be of the top two):
A depressed mood (a low mood, sadness)
Loss of pleasure in previously pleasurable activities
Weight and appetite changes
Increase or decrease in the speed of muscle activity
Fatigue, loss of energy
Extremely low self-esteem
The difficulty with thinking and concentration
Repeated thoughts of death, dying or suicide
A suicide attempt or plan
|Types of Depression|
Depression with Melancholic Features
This form of depression requires a lack of pleasure from almost all stimuli previously found pleasurable and requires the addition of at least three of the following symptoms:
Depression is worse in the morning.
Waking up 2 hours earlier than usual.
Observable muscle slowing or speeding up.
Significant weight loss or anorexia.
Extreme feelings of guilt.
Depression with Catatonic Features
Depression with catatonic features requires two of the following symptoms:
Muscle immobility, trance-like
Muscle activity without reason
Extreme negativism or mutism
Unusual posturing, grimacing, and movements
Repetition of the words or actions of others
It includes a mood that is changeable by outside stimuli.
Significant weight gain or appetite.
Feelings of heaviness in the extremities that lead to impaired functioning.
Sensitivity to interpersonal rejection.
Seasonal Affective Disorder
It is often known as SAD, is one of the types of depression that require specific timing of depressive episodes rather than a specific set of symptoms. In this type of depression, depressive episodes correspond with a season. These depressive episodes must have occurred for at least two years.
As with most mental illnesses, there is a type of depression known as not otherwise specified (NOS), which allows a clinician to diagnose depression in someone who does not perfectly fit into the current diagnostic model.
Persistent Depressive disorder/ Dysthymia
Symptoms of Persistent Depressive disorder
Symptoms of Persistent Depressive disorder:
Friends I hope you have liked this post you can comment share it with your friends to know more about the depression click here.